On the edge

The history of the gramophone began in Hannover


Emil Berliner, inventor of the record and the gramophone -


The gramophone was invented by Emile Berliner who was born in Hannover
(german: Emil Berliner; * 20. May 1851 in Hannover; † 3. August 1929 in Emil Berliner1Washington, DC).

He went to America and invented the gramophone and the record there. He returned to Hanover and took up here founded by his brother Joseph Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft. From here came the record triumphantly through Europe. At twelve inches in diameter Emil Berliner's first record was the way the same size as the modern compact disc (CD), which were produced until recently, in the beginning based on the then-Poygram plant and will be delivered today from there.


His brother Joseph Berliner. (August 22, 1858 in Hannover, May 23, 1938) was a German manufacturer [1] He was the son of the merchant Samuel Berlin and brother of Emily and Jacob.

After his bank job, and the military, he was weak current engineering for two years in the U.S. and studied. In 1881 he founded in Hanover, J. Berliner, telephone factory in the Kniestreet with his brother Emil.
alte grammophonfabrik

At the exhibitions in 1882 in Munich, Vienna and 1883 in 1891 in Frankfurt / Main, he successfully introduced its new transmission technology. The grains microphone ("Universal Transmitter"), the end of 1880 for the first time delivered to the German Imperial Post, and Berliner's automatic line selector lever led to the expansion of the company. Joseph founded branches in Vienna, Berlin, Budapest, London and Paris. In 1898 he transformed his company into a limited company and founded the same year with his brother Emil, the German company for the production of phonograph records.

alte grammophonfabrik 2The trademark His Master's Voice was sitting in front of the gramophone as a dog.

The Deutsche Gramophone Company was founded on 6 December 1898 by the German-American Emile Berliner and his brother Joseph in her hometown of Hanover.

From here, the company opened up the European market for the phonograph, invented by the brothers. The parent company applies its English-based Hayes Gramophone Company. Production began alongside the J. Berliner telephone factory in the northern city of Hannover Kniestraße.

Grammophonfabrik Podbi

Because of increasing tightness - and 1903 drove the brothers here at the same time the Hackethal wire - was created in 1904 a great work on still-free areas along the Podbielskistraße in Klein-Buchholz. The production immediately took enormous levels. Thus, in the first year, approximately 25,000 daily records pressed in the record 1908 total of 6 million.

Starting in 1895, Joseph Berliner was living in the villa Simon located at Koenigsworther Platz. He was chairman of the mechanical weaving mill in Hannover-Linden. 1914 Villa Simon, he was appointed to the Commerce and 1921 commercial judges. In 1921 he was also the first chairman of the Jewish community and led the
Construction of the Jewish cemetery in Hannover- Bothfeld. He is buried in the Jewish cemetery at the Strangriede.

Villa Simon

His tomb was designed by the architect and court architect William Mackensen (1869-1955).

Daughter Klara was early March 1943, deported to the Theresienstadt concentration camp, where she was murdered.

Simon is a villa in Hanover on King Platz in the district-receptive
Calenberger Neustadt.It was built in 1858-60 as the residence of Edward Simon, a lawyer of Jewish origin. The neo-Renaissance villa was built during World War II to one of the 15 Jewish houses in Hanover, in which Jewish families were segregated. The building survived the bombing of Hanover undamaged during the war. Today, in his premises of the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz University Hannover housed

siegelmarkeSeal brand of telephone factory Actiengesellschaft Hanover, formerly J. Berliner

 

 

Schellackplatte

Shellac record of 1908 made by Gramophone, produced in Hanover. Heard is an aria from the opera The Force of Destiny by Giuseppe Verdi (1813-1901), who sings Enrico Caruso.

The recording itself was already taken 1906th
Germany. Date 13 December 2008/1908

Source: scan a plate
Copyright Mediatus